My choice for this week’s Writers’ Workshop was too easy because it’s more or less what I’ve decided to start doing with my new “Things That Make Me Smile” category. I’ve only done one of them so far… so this must be a sign that it’s time for another.
Write a list of 10 things that are sure to put a smile on your face when you are not happy… aka
Things That Make Me Smile, vol. 2
10. Arrested Development. I don’t even have to actually watch any of it–just thinking of my favorite scenes/episodes can put a smile on my face.
9. Raised donuts with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. Another new obsession only made worse after eating Frost’s. OMG yum.
8. Summer in the Pacific Northwest. Lately it’s more like the promise of summer since we’ve been having so much gray weather… but summer’s coming! (It has got to be!)
7. Music. It lifts the spirit.
6. Knowing the grass is mowed. Not the act of mowing the grass… but right after and then the next couple of days when it still doesn’t need to be mowed. It doesn’t last long–but oh, it is a wonderful feeling.
5. Seeing my lavender grow. I love lavender. (Add it to the obsessions list, please.) The lavender plant outside my front door may or may not have played a role in my decision to buy this house. I can’t wait for it to really bloom!
4. Taylor “hugs.” He likes to walk between my legs to get my attention. I think of it as a “hug” from him. (Ok, sometimes it’s annoying because I’m afraid I’ll trip when he tries it when I’m walking… but otherwise it’s cute and endearing.)
3. Reminiscing. Sometimes on those bad days the only thing that gets me through is remembering the better days and the people I spent them with.
2. Louie jumped in the toilet. I heard a bunch of weird splashing. It took me a second or two to realize what was going on–and then immediately leaped out of my chair once it clicked that the cat must have been exercising his new jumping skillz without looking before leaping. By the time I stood up, Louie was already safely out of the toilet. And I couldn’t stop laughing. It still makes me smile… and yes, I had to take pics of my wet kitty. (Pics to come at a later date.)
1. Hearing from a friend at times I really need it without knowing I need it. I take it as a reminder from God that I need to be better about asking for support/help/a listening ear and not wait for it to just “call” unexpectedly… whether it is through prayer or the telephone line.