I can’t stop thinking about painting stripes somewhere in my house. I thought about doing them in the laundry room but right now I am leaning more towards the bathroom because there are so many things in there that bug me… I might as well do complete make-over.
I love the tone-on-tone stripes that John and Sherry from Young House Love did in the half-bath of their first house.
I am also liking the idea of getting rid of my medicine cabinet and replacing it with a regular framed mirror and adding storage above my toilet somehow. (I got the idea from my friend Tiffany, but it just lucks out that the photo from YHL above also shows a mirror instead of a medicine cabinet!) The medicine cabinet blocks so much light and I think that I would end up with more storage in the end if I had shelves/cabinets in the space about my toilet.
Here’s a photo of my bathroom from when I first moved in… it looks pretty much the same as it does now:
These are just a few of the things I don’t like/would want to change…
- The walls above the “chair-rail” is white and below is a faux-finish of light and dark blues. It really isn’t terrible until you look closely. There are areas where the underlying aqua still shows (like right next to the shower and behind the toilet and vanity–I think you can actually see a little of it under the back left corner of the counter).
- The “chair-rail” is plastic and unpainted and collects dust like none other.
- The trim around the doorway isn’t flush with the walls (there’s a significant gap).
- I don’t use two of the three towel bars/rings because of their awkward placements.
- There’s very very little storage. Only the medicine cabinet and under the sink area. I’d love to add more somehow plus rearrange to make it more efficient.
There’s more but I think that gives you a good idea.
The first things I need to find or decide on are paint colors, vertical or horizontal stripes, and what kind of storage I should install above my toilet. Any suggestions?