1. Rain. More specifically, Spring Rain. What makes Spring Rain so much better than dreary Winter Rain? I can’t quite put my finger on it… but it could be that it isn’t all gray outside–there are spots of brilliant color from blooming bulbs, fresh green leaves slowing unfurling on Indian Plum trees, fuzzy flowers on pussy willow trees… it could also be because I know this rain is doing some good. It is watering my freshly planted herbs, it is keeping crops green and healthy… it isn’t the seemingly endless rain of Winter that just drowns, floods, and depresses.
2. Sun and Rain–at the same time. It means I get to look for a rainbow (or two!), admire the dynamics of weather, and take some neat photos that take advantage of the best of both sun and rain.
3. Being productive. It really puts my head in a good, healthy place. The other day I spent a good 3+ hours working outside… mowed most of my grass (there’s a lot! I couldn’t get to it all), filled both of my new pots, did a bit of weeding, and chatted with my neighbor (twice). There’s still a lot more than needs to be done–but I’m looking forward to (most of) it. Afterward I went inside to make soup and work on one of my thrifted projects. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by all that I want to do but don’t know where to start– and then nothing gets accomplished. Other times I just jump in and am surprised by how much I get done.
4. Spending time with old friends and meeting new ones. (What’s that song? Make new friends but keep the old… one is silver and the other gold… or something?) I got to take a break from painting my master bedroom when I was invited over to my friend Natalie‘s place on Saturday. I had the option of napping on my floor (the paint fumes were getting to me and I was tired) or going over for a BBQ and croquet. I am so glad I chose the BBQ! It was so nice spending time with Nat, her husband, brother, brother-in-law, and of course her too-adorable daughter Sawyer. That child is too smart and cute for her own good. (I lost at croquet but still had a great time playing!)
5. Puppies. How can you not smile when faced with this cuteness?! (Well, until she bites you in the chin…)